Re: How did Arkat obtain Illumination

From: boztakang <danielmc_at_DhdSuxLw9JETrhwcsrwGNybzzm7NZw635oe3HBPd87WBR7X-x8SRQwgohbkrzoKN2nn>
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2010 17:40:20 -0000

[no uz-speak this time, but plenty of Uz bias :-) ]

> we know little about how Arkat and his heirs ruled,
> what the state religion (if any) was, how (and
> if) Arkat's teaching were passed to younger generations, etc. etc.
> But this is because the accursed godlearners wiped out this civilization.

Though it is always good to blame the godleaners, In this case, I would say it is more because by this time Arkat was a Troll.

The Uz don't go shouting their internal politics far and wide like humans do (especially orlanthi). The State Religion of the Dark Empire was a secret of state, and not the business of nosey outsiders.

I'm certain that Arkats teachings were passed on to his children, and are still passed on in clans that are desceneded from him (or that can "prove" descent through heroquest) But these teachings are big juju, and NOT for outsiders.

Peter:
> Each of the lieutenants and the factions had their Arkati lore which
> they guarded jealously. It was the source of their power and importance
> and to share it meant diluting it. Only Arkat knew everything and more
> and he didn't care about the petty bickering of his followers.

Sadly, for all his power, Arkat was a poor Mother. He let his children bicker and squabble, and did not exert proper maternal care to pass on his full knowlege to a chosen and undisputed successor. He did not bring them to heel properly, and was negligent in enforcing their obedience. It is not at all suprising that his Tribe splintered once he was gone.

Still, the secrets of Arkat Kingtroll are so powerful that even a tiny fraction of them kept secret and safe by a particular clan can mean survival in the face of terrible foes and hardship.

The Autarchy of Arkat suffered the inevitable fate of anything led by a Male -- strife and dissolution. Only Kyger Litor grants the ability to forge Uz into one body, one purpose, one tribe. Males can only lead in war time, and if they try to rule in peace, disaster is unavoidable.