Conquering dirt-poor Balazar : worth it or not ?

From: hcarteau_at_6e_YJqTYu55x4DjfFQar0EyC9GFJHK1qnSCVXEo359eCY9E_t5zr4or4pfZJanT4Z_P
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2010 22:49:33 +0200

> How do you conquer a bunch of nomadic hunter-gatherer clans?
/// You don't.

And more to the point, why would you even bother? /// It's Glorantha so there can be mythical reasons : one of your cultural heroes died there a long time ago, it' got a crossroads of Ley Lines, whatever. It needn't be strategical or economical.

> Sartar has civilised cities and thriving trade routes.
/// LOL. Sartar has a few smelly, muddy big villages and some twisting, no less muddy paths winding up the hills. But it's true it looks like Las Vegas next to Balazar.

> the Balazarings (...) have their nasty squalid little citadels, basically
heaps of rock piled on top of each other, but they're not cities as a Dara Happan or Sylilan would recognise them.
/// True, but they were built by Giants who might have using some magic stones of great interest to a builders' cult such as Hwarin Dalthippa, which happen to operate next door. There's also nice magical stuff in the catacombs. There's even rumors of a local petty king who performed the Quest of Tholm and has incredible giant hawks at his orders. Think how motivated a rindiddi unit would be to get there.

Nor are they on a strategic route to somewhere else, which at least is the saving grace of Prax.
/// In the Griffin Mountain LARP, a lunar faction is building a highway to Kra Lor over Balazar. Why not in your campaign ? And let's not forget the way to Gonn Orta's castle. Again, "strategical" can well mean "magical".

> Trying to rule Balazar would mean importing all the necessities of
> life yourself, since the locals don't produce them,
/// That's why the 7M cult exists. To teach the natives the wonders of agriculture, coinage, literacy, indoor plumbing, the works. After one generation you might even start to get results, faster if you get into the natives' myths to align them with the lunar faith.

> Not worth it.

/// Sez you, I say : definitely worth it if it makes a good scenario / campaign.

Among other possibilities :