Re: Book of Glorious Joy

From: Trotsky <TTrotsky_at_0raP-bVVK1xKyEH8bE0Xwp9iXsXTl4FXjWgNBnVcblR9rUc9WbuGihFVoelNpD-J62_>
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2010 22:47:33 +0100

Nick the Nevermet wrote:

> Hi there. Apologies if this is the wrong e-mail list for this question.
>
> Is there additional info available on Hearts in Glorantha's Book of
> Glorious Joy? I believe it is mainly the Loskalm info Trotsky wrote up
> on the West, and is probably coming out something this year. Is this
> accurate? Any more info on when it is coming out, previews, etc?
>
> My biggest curiosity is over chargen, and how similar / dissimilar the
> handling of runes is compared to the Sartar book, but that may belong
> on another list.

The first point to make is that this book was written many years before the Sartar Book was (yes, it's been waiting that long), so I'm afraid you won't find the kind of specific coverage you might be looking for on topics first introduced in that later book. Having said that, and entirely IMO:

I suspect that the runes are rather less important to the Malkioni than to the Heortlings. That's not to say they have no effect, and I'd use much the same system for determining them as in the Sartar Book. Grimoires have their own runes, and if the wizard has that rune as one of his own personal runes, he can augment the magic with it, making it stronger. But there's nothing to stop him using grimoires with runes he doesn't possess (although I'd apply a penalty if he has the /opposite/ rune), because the personal rune doesn't define his magic in the same way as it does for a theist. Magic is something you know (because you've read the grimoire), not something you are.

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic

Not a Dead Communist: http://jrevell.blogspot.com/