Re: a sense of deja vu

From: julianlord <julian.lord_at__Msxx6Uz68VBn6nLx-FBoH9Rvy0S4YSFYTD49M7e2BsJ9gQXVyt0ow69ulLUO7uy>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 06:36:22 -0000

David Cake :

> At 6:18 PM +1300 18/10/10, Peter Metcalfe wrote:
> >On 10/18/2010 12:01 PM, julianlord wrote:
> >
> >> This is true, but I can't help but feel that this is the smoking gun
> >> that here we have yet another remnant of God Learner
> >> experimentation.
> >
> >Except the God Learners were nowhere near the Blue Moon Plateau and
> >weren't in the habit of making magical changes in cults from a great
> >distance (however they would have *loved* to be able to make such
> >changes...).
>
> I didn't mean to imply the God Learners actually interfered
> with the cult, just that they wrote a document based on the God
> Learner version of what the world looked like. These various wildly
> disparate cultures all worship the same celestial body, ergo they
> MUST be the same.
> (And yes, they were nowhere near the plateau - as I said
> elsewhere, I think the God Learners didn't even get the bit about
> which celestial body really right as they were getting their info
> second hand from the Dara Happans).

Well you see, I'm not *at all* sure about that.

First, it is quite likely that the GL will have, over the long course of their activity, at least *heard* of this strange plateau up in the North consisting of the remnants of an ancient blue planet from the God Time that came crashing down there.

So what do they do ? 1) Let's go and investigate that, as it's right up our alley ? or 2) oooh no, that sounds like a long walk...

Frankly, it just doesn't sound reasonable that the GL never went anywhere near this piece of magical geography containing huge chunks of the prehistoric world, and materials not native to the surface of Glorantha.

The GL were active over several *centuries* -- and it's not like they were some tiny isolated nation with no contacts outside some strictly defined sphere of influence. The idea of their having been present and active at Blue Moon Plateau is no less and no more realistic than the idea that they didn't -- the only question is whether this actually happened, or if it didn't.

The likelihood in my opinion that they will have investigated the plateau in an interested manner, plus the fact that their fingerprints are all over the RQ3 write-up, leave me leaning towards the notion that they *did* go there, rather than the opposite.

As for magical links between the Blue Moon Plateau and the Blue Streak, they appear obvious -- the Plateau is slap bang next to the White Sea, whose tides would be governed by exactly the same forces. The same Sky and the same celestial bodies lie overhead. And quite apart from the GL going off to the Plateau, would the magicians from that place not wish to investigate the origins of the tides, and find that they were linkable to a blue streak zooming down into Magasta's Pool ?

Julian Lord