Re: Veneration, Part 2

From: Jeff <richaje_at_JIpLR42w0itxhY4fR9rl370fPHxqqbO2Wv8GnlizJMcK75fuvfymBMa1otc1sOxS7hq7>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2010 15:21:07 -0000

> We all of us engage in thinking on a daily basis, and I can't see that surrounding this sort of activity as practised by Gloranthan westerners with pompous vocabulary can be at all helpful to provide clarity and understanding.

I watched a man from Dangkt named Etharion as he went around his daily routine. Much of that was meeting with his fellow Dronari crafters (who claimed an ancient holy man of indefinite historicity as their patron) or working in his workplace with his sons and apprentices (all Dronari like him).

Each week, Etharion would join the rest of the community in worship of the Invisible God, participating in the roles assigned to his caste. Although I was not permitted to participate, I saw that each caste was represented and the entire ceremony was overseen by the Watcher for the city. Each caste had its Readers; but only the Knowers understood the full ritual.

Etharion and his Dronari associates also gathered from time to time on specific days and a Reader led rites for them. Only Dronari participated in this ritual, although the Watcher was assuredly aware of it.

I asked Etharion about the Saints of Dangkt, and he told me that all the Holy Ones are venerated. "But what do the saints give you?" I asked Etharion. He was confused by my question and told me that the saints are worthy of his respect, and do not *give* him anything. "But if I did not venerate the Holy Ones, then assuredly I would not be worthy of experiencing Solace upon my death."

Jeff