Re: It's hard to be a Scientist

From: simon_hibbs2 <simon.hibbs_at_jhIbNkq3eS52j8mHwK9jUovUX3rrcEEu_Vxyy2gVKQQMFznySmrYeNBsz_wXr064>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 20:53:11 -0000

> Thank your for your answer. I don't think I'll waste precious minutes of my life
> looking up what a self-professed atheist has to say ! As a wise man I knew once
> say "atheism is impossible"...

A person with a different viewpoint? Anathema!

The books of his I have read on science and particularly evolution are excellent. I haven't read all of "The God Delusion" but I found it considerably less hysterical than it's reputation lead me to expect. To my mind it is mainly a political book, for a broad definition of politics. What really fires him up is the argument that being religious shouldn't be a free pass to behaviour that otherwise would not be legally tolerated or socially accepted. i.e. that spirituality and religion should be personal, private things and not either be used to impose inconvenience or restrictions on others or entitle anyone to special privileges. What pisses people off is that he takes that position to lengths that many people find _very_ uncomfortable.

His logical arguments against religion and spirituality I found very entertaining. He's a clever man, but whether you find his arguments to be relevant to your experience is another matter.

That was my take on it anyway.

Simon Hibbs