Re: The Importance of Caste (or Why Wizards Don't Rule)

From: David Cake <dave_at_tVih5RfYsuyljgzXQvhfR0smNZ9fQ4d3TljZWn5TAT9lUK9fqGsmLOS8s3sgE0QNsUsQ_P_>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 10:48:12 +0800

At 7:33 PM +1300 10/2/11, Peter Metcalfe wrote:
>On 2/8/2011 3:57 AM, Kevin McDonald wrote:
>> Well, perhaps since caste was created by Malkion fairly early on the
>> laws of caste are fundamentally "hard coded" into the Laws of the
>> Universe - and thus wizardry. It would take creative reinterpretation
>> (Hrestol?) to even bend those laws.
>I don't think Malkion invented the castes. He created positions of
>responsibility on an ad hoc basis but it was others (ie Zzabur and his
>brothers) who derived a systemic model of society from his actions.

        Regardless of the exact origins, it seems from what we know of the actions of Malkion that he specifically preached to each caste. Whether Malkion or Zzabur created the laws of caste for Danmalastan, it seems pretty clear that Malkion in the Abiding Book preached in favour of the current caste system.

        And most modern Malkioni of course are working from the Abiding Book, so I think their view of caste is that of Old Malkion, not that of Zzabur.

>Secondly hard-coded laws of society that don't have any effect other
>than make a wizard respect caste? I think that if there is a reason for
>the wizards in obey caste then it should be a beneficial (or negative)
>magical force that they are aware of and find it easier to work with
>rather than against. Otherwise caste law smacks of the artificial class
>restrictions of D&D.

	I agree totally.
	I'm just not convinced that the compromise position of hard
coding the social roles into benefits on spells is the best position either.

        I'd rather make the magical effects in question less hard coded and more, well, magical.

	Regards
		David