Re: The Importance of Caste (or Why Wizards Don't Rule)

From: Tim <tim_at_DOD8EKXtNQ0dgPdIHvT3MYpihZZNlMINoIe21RCVDEzoT-5n-fnC208il-aWu_OGDyAqqAaG>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 14:49:00 -0000

> Good point. BTW, I suggested "Workers, Soldiers, Noble, Wizards" -
> not "peasants". The problem is, as you rightly observe, "Talar" is
> not equal to the all the connotations of the English word "noble"
> and creates problems. <Sigh>

I realise this, but traditionally we (or at least *I*) equated Dromars to Peasant

>> Someone (and I can't find the message now) said something about
>> Dromars being "Makers" and Talars being "Talkers", which makes me
>> wonder if Horali are "Doers" and zzaburi "Thinkers". I'm not sure
>> if that makes things any clearer or just adds a new level to the
>>confusion!
>
> That's pretty close. Horali are "Fighters" though, not doers.

I was trying to avoid the "old" descriptions, as well as allowing for the possibility that their may be Horali in other occupations that we hadn't considered - especially those who might not have existed in a Brithini environment - (for example, Do the Brithini have Sailors, or do they rely on Waertagi if they need transporting by boat? If Dromars are "Workers" they are probably also the sailors, but if they are "Makers" then would sailors be Horali?)

Which also makes me wonder whether different flavours of Modern Malkioni might have different opinions as to where certain occupations belong in terms of caste (and where an individual can, or is expected to change castes as they proceed through life it might be less of an issue)?