Re: The Importance of Caste (or Why Wizards Don't Rule)

From: Richard Hayes <richard_hayes29_at_OI6iGsShWQGSumtoKDt3Tybq3aVoS1mm93wJC9xY8J4mQBTesmM_9qIikofI>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 20:55:42 +0000 (GMT)

Whither the Brides of Rokar?

Richard Hayes

From: Jeff <richaje_at_ZK2u53OuZBHBB20KBPtkayOXqowW1V0N-YayvXUzUsoOW12i-nimxOW61qLOs0og5O9ggEhOqw.yahoo.invalid> Subject: Re: The Importance of Caste (or Why Wizards Don't Rule) To: WorldofGlorantha_at_yahoogroups.com
Date: Tuesday, 15 February, 2011, 15:00

> *My* Rokari, although generally inheriting the caste of their father are in some cases determined by tradition to be born into another caste.  Where this happens it is normally that third or fourth sons of Talar families are considered Zzaburi from birth.  This serves both to prevent the Talar caste from growing too fast and to keep up the numbers in the Zzaburi.  (Plots regarding "lost" children or which is the elder twim, and thus whether subsequent children are in the right caste are entirely optional....)

Hey, I am glad this was brought up! Three of the four castes are birth only. However, most Rokari wizards are celibate (as were the ancient Zzaburi - the Abiding Book is silent on the issue) - so where the do the Rokari wizards come from?

They are recruited from promising children in the other castes!

Naturally the children of talars are most likely to display promise (literacy, logical thought, and so on), although the children of horali or even dromali are not unknown. They are dedicated to a school of wizardry before they have achieved adulthood (and thus membership in a caste) in a solemn ritual that cuts them from their former family.

FWIW, the Talar Malaskan Philippe once was said to refuse a delegation of Rokari wizards by observing, "the Failed have no Zzaburi, and are as contaminated by Hrestol's error as the fools of Akem." That was over a century ago and it is uncertain what his response would be today.

Jeff

Yahoo! Groups Links