Re: The Importance of Caste (or Why Wizards Don't Rule)

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_X-uDP-YJJy8hWCQS6DGdaRiRAlN1VI7rEYcf1x5A-D2pNjmdHN01R981CxlNgaOTC3C>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 21:06:29 +1300

On the subject of caste names, I think we should be devising name lists for specific countries rather than devising a pan-malkionism list. Thus the english caste names for the Rokari would be different from the Loskalmi and vice versa.

A Rokari alternative to the Workers might be Plebs which has the advantage of being ancient sounding and derogatory at the same time.

Soldiers sounds too professional for my ear and knights is theologically taboo. Gentry is a good fit socially but it doesn't convey the meaning of fighting. Milita gives the impression of ragtag forces, the military makes it sound too sophisticated and Miles is now a personal name. Guardians is a good fit in that it conveys one who uses force both against foreigners and also polices internal dissent - it's also slightly platonic in air.

--Peter Metcalfe