Re: The Importance of Caste (or Why Wizards Don't Rule)

From: Richard Hayes <richard_hayes29_at_xYXLqOKGiSIZOttHuylpvbTcAE2SW-HD7ehtlPNcRa1tLAG44qeyhTbyw2fq>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 15:30:50 +0000 (GMT)

I like the idea of different names in diferent sects. For example the hidebound Brithini could still use Talar, Zzaburi, Horali and Dronari (like they did way back in Genertela Crucible of the Hero Wars), but others wouldn't. Would "Knights" still be allowed amongst the Loskalmi, but not anywhere else?

In my Valeki Baronies campaign (where most peasants were non-Malkioni), Malkioni in the workers' caste were called "yeomen" if they were farmers, and "burgesses" if they were townsmen (though they were in the same caste, and money and status determined who outranked whom within the caste). If a name was needed for the caste of yeomen and burgesses, it was  "commoners".

Notwithstanding its associations with a woolly liberal English newspaper (in)famous for its misprints, I like Peter's suggestion of 'guardians' -- but would it be better for the Rokari or the Hrestoli?

Finally how come the four castes are so uncannily closely aligned the to the regular four stages of Dragonewt existence? I don't remember there being many Dragonewts in the Far West (though Ryzel and Ormsland are on the eastern frontiers of Malkionism), but maybe the party of Dragonewts leaving Dragon Pass on an epic journey/pilgrimage to Sog City (in Elder Secrets of Glorantha) were onto something?

Richard Hayes