Miniatures to suggest what Malkioni look like (was Re: What do 2nd Age Seshnelans look like?)

From: Jeff <richaje_at_ncNi3ad4yhqUFVvgv8gZJYN-KulFnVIpNVK-pCpow8PkT8EvaT8WR9KFFfJBVJn8G1uY>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 19:59:16 -0000

> Following on from this subject, there were some postings a few weeks ago about which miniature ranges people liked to use�to represent Orlanthi.�Some interesting suggestions came�to light, including some for Lunars as well.

Just to give the canonical art direction for the Heortlings, I'd use a range of late Bronze Age/early Iron Age Europeans (Hallstatt Celts, Mycenaean Greeks, Minoan women, and so on). I particularly like this Bronze Age Warrior Horde (http://wargamesfoundry.com/historical_ranges/hordes/ancients/european/bronze_age_warriors_horde_bhbrnz001/), but they need more trousers.

> So if people�ditch the�cliched�Medieval imagery of�Malkionism in the early 1990s,�what kind of miniatures do people use to represent different kinds of Malkioni, such as:

Now it gets really really hard.

> Brithini

Here are some art notes:
The Brithini of the The Vani Republic, the Logical Times (the age of tens) wore clothing that was distinctive by class: Dromal: Green
Holar: Red
Zzabur: Blue
Talar: Yellow
Within each caste different subcastes had different uniforms, shades of clothing and so on.

[I am not clear what they wore back then. They could all have been naked, with folds enclosing genitals, and different color skins. ] By the time of the Six “Tribes” each of them had their own distinctive clothing styles (trousers among the Kadeniti, for instance). The distinctive caste colors remained, again with many variations among the subscastes.

Fourth Action
The losses of territory and compression of the land of Zerendel provoked a more conservative reaction, and the reduced and conservative populations settled for the Zerendel Uniforms (no fashion).

Some of these are for specialized roles performed by castes, even though the originators of it no longer existed. The Kadeniti workers, for instance, wear pants.

Brithos, the north-east or maybe coastal region or Zerendel, makes it first distinctive appearance here in history.

Fifth Action
Talarwal, the Great City of Magnificent city, needed camouflage.

An instance of the difficulty of modern Seshnegi to understand what they are seeing in the eldest Ages of Logic is the reality of the oddities before their very eyes.

Consider the age of Republic, the oldest stage at which most of us can visit. The Perfect City causes all first visitors considerable pain, even though we ourselves are of that Plane. It is because our minds cannot believe what we are seeing at first.

For instance, each of the Perfect Castes had a particular shape associated with them. I best describe them as we relate to them.

The Talari are normal, our contemporaries. We have few difficulties dealing with them (nor they with us).

But the Zzaburi have an affinity for height, because they reach up the highest towards God. As a result, they are all a very tall caste, always towering over everyone else. Among them tallness itself is a standard of beauty, and they wear those notoriously tall hats to emphasize this.

Horali have an affinity for wideness. They have broad shouldersâ€"broader than a normal man’s by far, and at the hip too. Wide hands, wide face and big flat feet complete the description.

Dromali are broad, or deep. From face on they are like big men, but they have a stockiness and sturdiness before and after that is thick.

But after the Ice Age the Brithini dressed very warmly to cope with those Ice Hurricanes. As a result, the caste clothes were invariably thick and warm. So for example, here's a good example of a Brithini Zzaburi hat (keep in mind all the clothes are blue): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Shmuel_Eliyahu_Taub_MODZITZER.jpg

> Vadeli

The Vadeli are pre-Brithini, as they still use skin color to tell the castes apart. If I recall they don't wear much clothing as their realm was primarily subtropical.

> Ralians

You mean Safelstrites or uplanders?

Imagine a degeneration of the Brithini attire with centuries of intermingling from the various native clans and tribes of Fronela. Think something vaguely Lappish: http://www.keyposters.com/poster/2657331.html (But this should have more of a bronze age feel)

OK, this is a conscious emulation of Brithini caste clothing, but less "Ice Age" and more opportunities to display wealth and trade. For example, something like this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/sofi01/4722580516/ (again with more of a bronze age feel)

> Castle Coast

Probably like the Rokari, perhaps with more attempts to emulate the high fashion of the Middle Sea Empire.

> Pithdarans

As the Rokari.

> Aeolians (Normans, to be a bit like Viking/Saxon Orlanthi, but different, more expensive and with heavy cavalry?); and

I don't think the Esvulari look much like Normans.

> Trader Princes

Likely their costume is heavily influenced by the Holy Country, central Ralios, and the local Orlanthi. Lots of jewelry and ornate clothing.

> Also are there any features that people draw on in order to portray Ralian Orlanthi so they look different from Heortlings?

Some key differences are going to be far less Esrolian influences, no Pelorian influences, and more Seshnegi and Safelstran influences. They might look radically different from folk in Dragon Pass (perhaps not wearing trousers, possibly very different style of armor, lots of Western influences in clothing and fashion, and so on) - except they have many of the same tattoos.

Jeff