Re: What PBM _can_ be

From: Rob Thornton <oblate777_at_TL6n1uirVQpPgk6LQ5B37K4sXy12pf2Y5CBZTJSuk7sxj8CX0zL9K_Jk3DjXgFxKAB>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 17:13:51 -0400

A few extra thoughts on the matter:

I have participated in two PBEMs in toto: One aborted Heroquest PBEM (Play By E-Mail) and started to participate in another that is on hiatus.

I hope I'm not straying off-topic, but for me the only way I can participate in Heroquest--I live in the DC area--is through a PBEM. It fits my very limited time constraints because I know of no one in the local gaming scene who has the time to nutrure interest in Heroquest and support a game. So I am interested in what makes them succeed and fail.

For the record, I am speaking rhetorically here and not making any judgements about anyone (since some folks who participated in at least one of the PBEMs are on this list).

Unfortunately, I don't know what makes a PBEM work, but I do know that PBEMs can be tough to execute and play for at least two reasons:

  1. It is hard for all concerned to develop and maintain a level of trust when all the participants live far away from each other and don't have much of an initial rapport. Without that trust, miscommunication is more likely to occur and it can endanger the whole endeavor. A gaming session is face-to-face and communication tends to be smoother--tends, right? :)
  2. It is difficult to maintain momentum when Real Life is always encroaching on your time and it is easy to put off that email, unlike a gaming session where your buddies won't allow you to Durulz out. (hey, using "welsh" isn't allowed anymore, right?)

Just wanted to throw in a few more comments, is all....

Rob