Re: The Paps

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_J54AqMbbeSXEu52L4Q_wT6piw42oAFpDs-ggYYsiPzvv_ugsKf1AVPSh5TcIjE0c9fk>
Date: Mon, 02 May 2011 20:26:37 +1200

On 5/2/2011 8:24 AM, Andrew wrote:
> In particular, there doesn't seem to be much about the Paps (where I'm pretty sure the PCs will wind up going), so I thought I'd see if there's anything out there about it, or if I need to write it up myself. Obviously the write-up of the cult of Eiritha provides some information, and the brief description of it in Biturian Varaosh and I know there are some Babeester Gori there and the Serpent Guardians. Is there anything else known about who or what is at the Paps?
I'm not so sure the Babeester Gori are there. Babs comes from a different mythology than Eiritha and although there are attempts to find common elements between Orlanthi and Praxian deities, they aren't very strong. Storm Bull is an exception but nobody likes to be around their worshippers.

The Paps is also the residence of the High Khan of Waha at the Paps who outranks every other Khan (although they are not obliged to obey him if he's not around). He's got little else to do than sit around and participate in the Eirithan rites, so I think many of them have delusions about being an Emperor of sorts and ineffectual plotting to achieve that aim. That many High Khans were probably kicked upstairs into their current position of impotence probably adds fuel to their aim of obtaining power.

Since the Paps is peaceful ground, you could have intrigue by having the Secret Societies (Star Witches, Sunset Society, Serpent Dancers, Wind Singers and the Red School of Masks) having lodges there to act as embassies, recruiting houses as well as people to speak to.

  --Peter Metcalfe