Re: Historical Map of Genertela, Part II: 250 ST.

From: Jeff <richaje_at_mbHVrjXJIP-v_C02wVJTl9GsyuVUwTjNzboSs33hvVjJuFT46vBKRL_ngMkteSqORaoW>
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2011 07:07:08 -0000

> What is that line joining Dorastor with the settlements in Ralios?

An attempt to make it clear that those settlements are actually tied to Dorastor. I will likely mark it differently on the final map.

> The rise of Dara Happa is of course very obvious. Interested
> that the Blue Moon trolls don't seem to have had their territory
> reduced at all, though - I would have expected them to have at least
> been dislodged from around the Thunder Delta.

Not yet they haven't been.

> Also interesting to see the way the forests have changed
> around the Brolia/Talastar region. Most other forests apart from the
> Tallgreen remain relatively static in size, but this (fairly lightly
> documented, especially in the first age) region sees aggressive
> forest expansion, mostly Mreli but some Vronkali expansion as well.
> Presumably this area was the centre of the Green Wars?

At least a centre. There's a tremendous amount of elf activity in First Age Peloria.

> The loss of the Tallgreen so completely and so quickly is
> enormous. This must have been an incredible tragedy for the Aldryami,
> suggests there was more to this story.

There was. But it is largely unknown to humans, trolls, and just about everyone else.

> Also interesting that the horse nomads of Pent seem to be
> settled in quite long term stable clusters, even though they are
> nomadic (obviously) and these clusters don't correspond to any known
> landmarks. That probably says more about the abysmal level of
> knowledge in published sources about Pentan geography, though - is
> there a map anywhere with more than the very sparse G:CotHW one?

There are better maps but not in print. These clusters are around the best pasture lands known at that time. My alternative was to paint all of Pent yellow - which would give an impression that there were more nomads than there actually were (that being said, there is one map that ALL of Pent is yellow).

> There is no clustering around, for example, the Hellcrack or Orathorn*

Hellcrack is not a settlement but a deep crevice. A very very deep crevice. Think like the Grand Canyon but even deeper. And I suspect the pasturage is very bad near the Hellcrack.

> * not that I have any good idea how old Orathorn is, it may not even
> exist in the first age - G:CotHW says 'ancient', Glorantha:The Second
> Age implies but doesn't state late Second Age, I tend to think older
> than second age

Orathorn is very ancient, but the relatively large population settled around the castle of immortal sorcerers is fairly new and comes from a pact between the sorcerers and some guy who ruled Pent.

Jeff