Re: Second Age money

From: Jeff <richaje_at_3478-sY35EDZBgE0mNlDh6sWtVs0H5_gzLwMQcLwoAgd06CUBEl25SrOB8zM776WPmlm>
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2011 13:44:10 -0000

> I always felt it was stretching co-incidence too far that all the silver coins had the same
> value and weight of silver. I regard it as a RQ game mechanic rather than a reflection of
> Gloranthan reality so would extend it to other areas with different names.

That is correct. And "ducats" are not the standard coinage of the Middle Sea Empire. I know Greg and I talked about MSE coins, but I recall it being considerably less standardized (with each kingdom and governor coining silver). IRC, the magic of Issaries - even though an inferior and barbarian "god" - was encouraged and used by the MSE to facilitate trade between its diverse lands. As a result, Issaries (in some form or another) could be found in most of the lands that once belonged to the MSE.

Jeff