Re: Blood Kings

From: Kevin McDonald <kpmcdona_at_tj-vzjaFkfEPNXbaxE_4udEKnAAxkrGesSMnRNImF2ZNjxcN6igQfQDl5apUFOvZCqC>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 12:47:58 -0400

On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 10:23 AM, Jeff <richaje_at_z2feO3l9mpULQy0sh5VV8Xvex3FfOfi4_cZSA-6-DvICqopgwQqzZXmLZmJzXY-qYsBDgkP7uUDIw2af.yahoo.invalid> wrote:

> **
>

> > When you say kingdom, is this as in "organized Orlanthi kingdom" like
> Tarsh or Sartar, or as in "a bunch of tribes and clans doing their thing
> without a permanent unifying institution" like the southern Orlanthi
> neighbors of Carmania?
>
> Looking at the Gloranthan history atlas, a political entity called "Charg"
> has dominated southeastern Fronela between the Rockwoods and the Janube from
> at least 1250 ST. It is at least as organized as Talastar, Lankst, and
> Delela.

Humm... Looking at FS maps (thinking out loud):

0 - 50 ST - Enelvi (bull rune) are living in the entire area south of the Sweet Sea.
[230 ST - Battle of Eleven beasts]
500 ST - Vanstal appears for the first time south of the Sweet Sea just under the "Lake People"
700 ST - Vanstal now has clear borders in the area described above, north of Brolian Tribes and West of Syranthir's "Pasture" 750 - 800 ST - Vanstal is now the Carmania "Protectorate" [c. 800 ST - EWF influence]
800-850 ST - Charg (west) and "Baloris Tribes" (east) appear on the map west of Vanstal.
850-900 ST - Charg and "Baloris Tribes" areas are unified; Carmania expands west and now shares a border with Charg/Baloris. 1050-1100 ST - Carmania absorbs the Lake People 1100-1150 ST - "Uroxi Tribes" (from the Charg/Baloris area) invade western Carmania.
1150-1200 ST - "The Uroxi Tribes" area and recent conquests are now shown separately as Charg (west) and "Urox-land" (east, including Vanstal). 1200-1220 ST - Carmania invades Charg (1201-1215) and "Urox-Land" is now called Vanstal again (Also called "New Lightlands"). The entire area south of Charg & Vanstal is labeled "Friends of the Shah". 1220-1250 ST - Charg, Vanstal and the Lake People are under a label called "Blood Kings". The Blood Kings War ends when the last Carmanian heir dies, but that doesn't mean their followers just disappear. They were probably mostly either reabsorbed into the Western Reaches or fled to foreign lands.

There is a chapter on Charg and Golaros in Lawrence Whitaker's Fronela book for MRQ, but I am not sure how "canon" it is. Lawrence is now a Moonie, so that lends weight to it. In Fronela, Lawrence wrote (bracketed comments are mine) that "The Fronelan Orlanthi are the heirs of the First Age Talsardian Kingdom [which I haven't seen on a map anywhere, unless it is a reference to Talastar] and of the bull-riding Tawari people that preceded them [Enelvi?]"  He further wrote that "...the Fronelan Orlanthi developed into two separate tribes: the highlanders of the Charg uplands, and the lowlanders of Golaros. [which I also haven't seen on any map]" I would have named Charg as the north-western lowlands and made it orlanthi with a heavy bull (Enelvi) influence while the other area -- Golaros -- I would have made the south-eastern highland hiers of the Baloris Tribes. Either way, they seem to have become one political entity c.825 - when the EWF influence was still significant.

They also have a long history of warring with the Carmanians. That would be a unifying influence I would think. It also means they would not be all that happy to have Carmanian refugees living in their lands, although this may have been attempted when the Carmanians were ejected from Eastpoint by the White Bear Empire in 1470 ST, although Tales 20 says they returned to the empire.

What happened under the Ban is anyone's guess. I asked Greg once and he said he didn't know. Martin Laurie's Gwandor campaign had Carmanian exiles emerge from Charg when the Ban falls, but this seems unlikely to me. Something entirely different is happening in my game, involving Mostali mechanized cavalry, Bull worshiping infantry and immortal sorcerers from beneath the Sweet Sea but I like my Hero Wars revelations weird.

-Kevin "Do you ever give a straight answer to anything?!" McD