Re: Founders as Wyter

From: Jeff <richaje_at_nr3KaOjskPFFPPFbnGMCFjMZfUVbLIpyW-lTX-YJRAme_rnvJSQp4Zgg5XblDEEmf3WC>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2011 19:13:21 -0000

I'm moving Joerg's points around to address them in a different order:

> Similarly, Sartar apparently took over as the wyter of the Principality during his apothoesis from whatever entity he brought back from his Westfaring quest upon founding the Principality of Sartar.

The magical guardian Sartar brought back from his Westfaring was his protective deity, what the Romans would have called "genius," although I don't know the Orlanthi name. It would have been worshipped in cult as "Sartar's Protector"; upon Sartar's apotheosis, Sartar's Protector was revealed to be an early manifestation of the Divine Sartar.

Remember, the Orlanthi do not have difficulty imagining that someone or something might have 4 mundane souls and 1 divine soul. Or that a hero's breath might manifest itself as a petty god, which is worshipped by others in its own right.

> I finally found the time to read Sartar Companion more closely, and once more it struck me that there must have been a change in the city wyter of Jonstown from whatever entity Sartar instituted when Hauberk Jon became mayor of Jonstown to adopting Hauberk Jon after his death.

Again, think like an Orlanthi. Jonstown was protected by a petty god, revealed by Sartar and worshipped by Jon. Upon Jon's death, that petty god was revealed to have been a divine part of Jon himself - we were worshipping Jon's divine breath all along!

It gets even more complicated, since Orlanthi believe in the reincarnation. So it is entirely possible a petty god long worshiped by the Orlanthi might turn out to also be manifested as a living person. Remember - the Orlanthi are not Western philosophers, obsessed with categorization and dissection!

Jeff