Re: Rules of Hospitality

From: donald_at_HzeoW4TYrQ-WwEDCT50HmLxFWzl9w_11ffxkaMC8a2Hc6WRhFzAmFu17NRqgNLQLHJ11g
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 02:11:01 +0100

> In the real world, hospitality is an almost universal principle in societies
> that lack a concept of inns (which are paid hospitality). So rural and nomadic
> cultures will have strong rules of hospitality, because trade and
> Peaceful interaction with strangers are almost impossible without
> Hospitality. Cultures that do have inns have less need of hospitality. So the
> Lunars/Dara Happans probably have an attenuated version of hospitality,
> perhaps one closer to Southern hospitality.

Hospitality exists even in modern western culture. Commercial hospitality dominates but there are social rules about visiting and hosting friends and acquaintances.

The rules for Heorting hospitality have been described in detail but other cultures have different rules. I've done a bit of playing about with Lunar social rules for a story I'm writing and it gets very complicated. That's because Dara Happen social rules are different from Carmenian rules which are different again from Rinliddi rules. The Lunars have flexible attitude to social rules, trying not to offend any of the others. Except when they find those rules offensive or just don't understand them.

--
Donald Oddy