Re: Creating and playing a Lucky character

From: simon_hibbs2 <simon.hibbs_at_88LkXaT7HH1ze5A1czAqqsnw0x8p_XOM_etCnUNLl2ue0gzFdMbq1rtBgaBI4JoY>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 11:57:24 -0000

I had this come up in a game where a player wanted the ability "Lucky".

I eventually ruled that Luck is a modifier, in some ways like a condition rune. It is not used by itself, but with another power. So you can be lucky at cards, lucky in love, etc but not lucky in and of itself. This helps make sense of the meaning of the "Masters of Luck and Death". They are not The Masters of (luck) and (Death). They are the masters of (Luck and Death).

For a young punk, to me there would be little difference between a "Young Punk" ability and a "Lucky Young Punk" ability in practical terms. This is not two abilities "Lucky" and "Young punk".

If a player absolutely insists on having a pure "Luck" ability, I'd place it entirely beyond the player's control. If you want to be able to direct the ability as a player, it needs to be narratively directed by the ability name. If not, then it's a purely random ability that manifests at the whim of the narrator, effectively putting the character's fate in many ways beyond the control of the player.

Simon Hibbs