Re: Gloranthan ?! Linguistics

From: Greg Stafford <glorantha1_at_ozix5pDz891dvnMFl55BYUEce5exXObOpGzdsC-p9UNRFUy7IHDuRMKcWbvpM2JE7>
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2011 10:45:52 -0700

YGWV On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 3:42 PM, Phil Hibbs <snarks_at_r6gLjlsgTuxV8vN-oz-YeHtQO30jeye9eOvwyS6RtAcdvoR5AokrKOLM6aAyn3qRViBUWvc-.yahoo.invalid> wrote:

> >Doesn't help, we need to ask Greg.
>
> Greg can answer how he says it, but that isn't very interesting to me. What
> interests me is, how did Pavis himself pronounce it,

Actually, I never heard him pronounce his own name The temple officials said, uniformly
Pa Vis, where the first syllable was (as speculated) PAH, second viss, where the i is like "is"
It was uniform.
Except for the accents, anyway
The dwarfs always sounded like they were saying Barvees The elf I heard say it was aspirational, that is, used a lot of aspirants as they always do
PAAHH fz

--
Greg Stafford
Game Designer