Re: Wyrms (was Dragonewt Leather)

From: Peter Larsen <p3larsen_at_rGS4q3WNadjP25p8zOAA4n6fY94rPzKqVL-hyO5lECEVifmGiLjyAz9gTmu3fsiJsfg>
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2011 10:51:09 -0400

On Sat, Aug 27, 2011 at 9:34 AM, Richard Hayes <richard_hayes29_at_jjhawfsgYpkEK3_gsxIpG6x8Z89AZknnFBgkkv6gRugmiF7DHMZbWLznYMIoC30kq_qacjguK_Hk1gQk7hHDgfk.yahoo.invalid>wrote:

> **
>

> Please correct me if I am wrong, but I half-remember a further possibility
> in relation to Wyrms, mentioned on this forum (I think) by Peter Metcalfe.
> This idea is that there once was a time at which being reincarnated as a
> Wyrm was part of Dragonewt development, but not any more. This is such a
> fascinating idea that I would like someone to say a bit more about it. It
> doesn't have to be incompatible with the old RQ II account of where Wyrms
> come from either.
> If Wyrms are a stage of Drgonewt development, where do they come in the
> cycle? Or is it a stage that Dragonewts only end up in if things go wrong
> (like becoming a Magisaur), but as a result of a particular kind of
> draconic bad karma

I seem to remember a comment (maybe in the write up of a Dragonewt caravan back in RQ3?) that Dragonewts who really screwed up could end up sidelined in their progression and be reborn as Wyrms. I don't think it was an explanation of "this is what Wyrms are," more like "this is what can happen to Dragonewts if they get too greedy (greed was the flaw, expressed)." Just like a brutish person could be reborn as, say, say a dog in some Hindu or Buddhist concepts of reincarnation does not mean that all dogs were once humans.

But this is about 1/8 of a memory, so I may have some element really wrong. Even if I do, if the idea fits your game, I don't see any reason why you shouldn't use it.

Peter Larsen