Re: Loskalmi society. Explain

From: Robert Thornton <oblate777_at_mlyMgs_I-q5pVw_LO0B0XgeYsSyVa8lDexelO0Q0UyaSedHGGPvUdB_TPXP8f1bmUJ>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2011 18:18:55 -0400

Michael

As someone who is not so far away from you (and I happen to be a technical writer by trade), I have been occasionally tempted to write a Glorantha FAQ or a Guide for Glorantha Newbies. So I understand how you feel.

This community has a very unique storytelling-based approach to creating a richer and more interesting Glorantha, It requires a thorough understanding of the world. To get the full benefit from the group, you need to either learn as you go along or do a lot of learning about Glorantha by reading a ton of related literature. Either way, you're going to be confused sometimes.

Anyways, from my very limited point of view your question about wizardry (aka sorcery) prompted a whole string of related comments about Gloranthan culture and history. You don't need to be worried about those details (though I feel they are the best part of being in the community).

I think the most important things you need to know are contained in the initial responses to your question: "what is wizardry?" However, the part that may cause you problems is grasping the basis for wizardry (the Invisible God, the Zzabur, and the Malkioni Church). Besides the fact that they are monotheists, the rest is kinda complex and I find it hard to understand myself.

I don't feel capable of summarizing. It is worth noting that a source book on a Malkioni society, called the Book of Glorious Joy, was released recently by one of the group members. It might help you with the social aspects of a Malkioni nation.

Rob