Re: Loskalmi society. Explain

From: Simon Phipp <soltakss_at_sjDbEidiASadSKGvxMHv-dnzXd6DdLaDJFxoHa_VA5ajYivIWi49kIN3oLzUDopgNID>
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2011 22:48:39 -0000

michaelL:
> What the hell are you talking about?

I feel your pain - welcome to our world.

> Where do you get all this stuff from?

Some is dredged up from supplements written over the past 40 years. Some is pulled from things that were written but not published. Some is from stuff that was written and is yet to be published. Some is speculation based on those sources. Some is just made up.

The trick is to decide which is which and ignore what you don't like.

> This is what I hate about being a newbie to Gloranta.
> There is so much information and I don't know even where to start.

Imagine walking into a Stephen Hawking's office and saying "I want to know about Physics"! That's what happens when you ask about Glorantha on this forum - well meaning people will very helpfully tell you all you need to know. And more. Much, much more. Then they'll argue amongst themselves over some nit-picky issue for pages and pages until someone mentions ducks and everyone laughs and forgets the argument.

Or something like that.

On my bookshelf, I can see over 50 books based in Glorantha. I'm not even a collector. That's a lot of information.

My advice? Pick an area of Glorantha that interests you and build up from that. Don't bother trying to absorb all of Gloranthan knowledge otherwise your head will explode or you will lose interest.

> Is there something like 7 or 8 rulesets now?

For Glorantha? No, probably 3. HeroQuest, RuneQuest and the Dragon Pass boardgame rules. 4 if you count the King of Dragon Pass computer game.

Now, if you are talking variations of rules, then we have RQ1, RQ2, RQ3, RQ(4 unpublished), RQ Slayers, RQM1, RQM2, RQ6 (coming soon), HW, HQ1, HQ2, WBRM, NG and DP. But most of those are historical and can be safely ignored. You can play any of the old RQ supplements with RQM2 or the coming-soon RQ6 easily enough and can understand any HW/HQ supplement with the new HQ2 rules (although I prefer HQ1).

Still confused? Just think of it as RuneQuest has the griity, sword in hand killing broo. HeroQuest has the airy-fairy I'm a Hero trying to change the world. Dragon Pass has the I'm the leader of vast armies trying to destroy the armies of my enemies. I've never lasted more than 5 minutes of King of Dragon Pass (computer games bore me to tears) but it seems to be more like HeroQuest than RuneQuest.

Hope that helps, although it is probably a well-meaning person drowning you with information ...

See Ya

Simon