Re: Alynxes in Umathela?

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_GSXq_Gm2jLEwn2iKXXZQPumJ8vIa9kVNpBHzHMBdEsfnN0AhXWa6W8D_zYAOa_dA2YFL1>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2011 21:21:59 -0700

>> Sorry, yet another Pamaltelan-themed question-- Are there any alynxes in
>> Umathela?

I would say "If there are, they were imported, they are not native".

>>Or are these animals not necessarily present in all Thelayan cultures?

Alynxes have a pretty specific origin story. As David mentions, Kero Fin is pretty important. While there may be animals that look in all ways like alynxes, I'd say that they don't have the natural affinity for Orlanthi that Dragon Pass alynxes do. Remember that even though some things in Glorantha may look alike, and may even have the same real-world "genetics", they don't have the same mythic origins, and aren't the same thing (at least until some Capital-H Hero proves that they are, which, of course, you can say has already happened).

Heck, it's possible that Orlanthi-loving Alynxes (as we know them) don't exist outside of Dragon Pass (or the lands where the local Orlanthi use Kero Fin as their sacred mountain). But there may be other cats -or even other animals, such as dogs - that fill the same mythic void that the loss of Alynxes would leave.

RR
>From such a face and form as mine, the noblest sentiments sound like the
black utterances of a depraved imagination.