Re: Music is the Weapon

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_IWanIBVG0rzuLEzi1pJ5qzMJsy0OBgJjlHZr9F6V6fsCNuSDcwmsJL7JyIRkG1zq7P2>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2011 20:23:39 +1300

On 10/20/2011 1:19 AM, Keith wrote:
> I have been thinking about a Garangordos the Cruel game, where players take on the roles of the Garangordites who flee Forest folk oppresion in Banamba and end up conquering Fonrit and being worshipped as gods. My main stumbling block has been getting a good image into my head of how the setting looks and feels - a bit of inspiration was needed.
IMO Garangordos has the look and feel of pretty much any islamic conquerer you can name. For the look and feel of the land he was conquering, my primary inspiration is Aztec Mexico.

> The band would start in Laskal, pass through the coastal towns of Goan and Bogani, enter the wilderlands of Mondoro, find Barueli and encounter the Temple fo the Hungry godess,

I have the impression the Hungry Goddess is Krarsht.

> then go to the Gargos valley, learn about Ompalam, Tentacule and Darleester at the Temple in Garguna and using the Noose gain control of the valley, then expand to the rest of Fonrilt.
While one can learn about Darleester at Garguna, I seriously doubt that Tentacule is so worshipped there. Tentacule is more strongly associated with Kareeshtu and I tend to think of him as a cult of pyramid builders. The pyramids for the dead resemble the egyptian pyramids while those for the living are more like the hanging gardens of babylon.

Likewise I think that Garangordos already worshipped Ompalam before he entered Fonrit. Where he excelled unlike previous conquerers was his ability to unite the magical traditions of the five lands. The mythical parallel here is the birth of Vovisibor at the hands of five evil magicians, which I believe to have been a perversion of an earlier Fonritan creation ritual.

--Peter Metcalfe