Re: A sense of scale

From: donald_at_iokjBgN-xJNXzMjy5teLW6ttTCACqYNZtZ_mI1dSPYnnl4shP-zKpiRPBpua3L1Hha10I
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2011 13:29:13 -0000

Keith and Jeff

> > This really gives a sense of perspective to the Lunar Empire, both chronologically and geographically.
>
> That was the idea. BTW, to round things out, it is approximately 198 miles (317 km) from Furthest to Boldhome
> and 204 miles (326 km) from Boldhome to Nochet. To put that in real world distances, it is 190 miles from Munich
> to Venice (as the bird flies - the drive is almost twice that).

Another comparison is that Genertela as a whole is roughly the size of mainland europe including western Russia. That make Glorantha much smaller than earth.

It also makes Genertela culturally crowded - there are far more distinct and very different cultures for a similar sized area than anywhere on earth at any one time. In turn that leads to the conclusion that there was a long period of time (thousands of years) when there was very limited contact between cultures to allow them to develop independently.

I don't know enough about the Bronze Age empires to know why they were much smaller than the Macadonian or Roman empires but I can't see why it should be directly related to Bronze/Iron. My guess is that it is either communications (horse riding, boats and roads) or system of government (delegation of leader's authority). By the 2nd Age Genertela has far better communications and more sophisticated government options than Bronze Age earth.

--
Donald Oddy