Umath and the Shan Shan

From: jorganos <joe_at_yfwYGY4FQkBocYA_92OHHLJzfyIgDVQgByJ5z_kxCyFkrfy8qVEsp94EXdtZmlh1w_DMLNgl>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 12:40:15 -0000

Me:
>> Umath was shredded to pieces by Jagrekriand, forming among others the Shan Shan mountains and the Thunder Delta.

Peter
> I would say only part of the Shan Shan (ie the part with Wind Children in it) was created from Umath's bones.

Oh, I agree. This is one of quite a number of valid creation myths for the mountain range there. When searching for some other information, I stumbled across a piece of mine from 1994 making similar observations for the Storm Mountains between Prax and Heortland (not pieces of Umath, but a number of different myths explaining their formation). I think that you will be able to find strata associated with different myths in such a mountain chain, possibly tumbled and stirred by violent events like the crashing of Umath. You may have different kinds of rock, with different kinds of inherent magic, and different minerals.

> Even then I'm not sure that it originally was Umath.

All storm once was Umath, at least west of the Shanshan. The myth of Umath's conflict with Shargash/Jagrekriand/(Tolat?) mentions the absence of his named sons, some of which may have been detached parts of his whole. Other such entities may have been lost in the course of this struggle, so one might identify them separately and regard them as entities separate from Umath.