Re: Wyter

From: Stephen Tempest <glorantha_at_kI7OJ3ct8lcWamunI1sXrJuneo263j70bMJp2yRiAjhbF3bQLvNFBUMiZjKNhQ-dcC>
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2011 17:58:02 +0000

"michaelL" <michaelalewis25_at_TW0LEcPHlAHJV9ZboRqZoe6FMYl7o3OAQLO9uADRLtdfqmlBl8ofScrglmq5plYIstk4PDKU-yFkaUARssyxp3yMWIg.yahoo.invalid> writes:

>Ok, I need some examples of a clan wyter. All I can imagine is some
>sort of spirit.

Basically, yes. It's the guardian deity of a clan or other social group. Each one is different; there isn't a standardised and uniform class of supernatural entity called "wyter".

(Technically, a 'god' and a 'spirit' are different things in Glorantha, and a Sartarite clan's wyter is more likely to be a god. But that's nitpicky detail at this stage...)

>It says it can be in a statue or a ring?

It's an otherworldly entity. It might be bound to a physical object or a specific location, or not. If it is, it uses that object as a focus to allow it to manifest its powers in the material world. As Narrator, you might therefore want to rule that a wyter with more powerful abilities is also tied to a specific location or object, for game balance.

>Is it a spirit of an ancestor?

It can be. Or it can be the spirit of a prominent local landmark (a rock, a tree, a river) which the original founders of the clan befriended when they settled there. Or maybe the clan's founder went on a heroquest to find a powerful entity and persuade it to become the clan's wyter.

>Can it talk to anyone or just God talkers? Or just the chief?

It depends. If it has a physical location, it might only talk to people who approach it (and it would be up to the clan's rulers to decide who's allowed to go there.) It might only speak to the chieftain, or to all adult members of the clan. Or maybe it will speak to anyone, but knowing how to interpret its messages takes experience and training which only the godtalkers and chieftain possess. Or maybe it sends dreams, or communicates through the rustling of leaves or the song of birds.

What it probably *doesn't* do is chat to people in a clear, easily comprehensible fashion. It's more likely to communicate either through vague prophetic intuitions, or in an emergency, a simple "HELP HELP DANGER DANGER!!" warning.

Stephen