Re: Secrets of the Than

From: Peter Larsen <p3larsen_at_AEP8CVBSuQjhDO4YDqX8yJfg9d9L9wHTCbJLXt_WHLPHSbzAZ7GHq78MmqbJ1dJ2aIZ>
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2011 10:35:25 -0500

On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 9:23 PM, Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_WciETbl198P5DproLomZQKQ5m4XAuMbyzr3oMhaC2NBBZRAT4_O56gwioS9nq8-G8g4YeGhsl1LmLzMxMfykLv4r.yahoo.invalid
> wrote:

> **
> On 11/26/2011 2:25 PM, Peter Larsen wrote:
>
> > > Hence the link between the chaotic nature of Ogres and cannibalism
> isn't very strong.
>
> > The connection between Ogres and cannibalism is stronger than that.
>
> I'm not denying that Ogres have a reputation for cannibalism. I'm
> denying that their cannibalism is the _cause_ of their chaotic nature.

The Anaxial's Roster entry says otherwise, but perhaps it's been superseded.

I am curious that you are so against this idea -- surely the idea of being tainted by unnatural urges is a) hardly uncommon, b) a source of great story hooks, and c) makes mythic sense. What is the downside? All I can see is that the Cacodemon write-up doesn't mention it, but, honestly, that can be addressed in a whole bunch of ways -- including merely that the cult doesn't address it in the same way that Orlanth doesn't, say, address eating all that much.

Peter Larsen