Re: Pavis Rises Map

From: Simon Phipp <soltakss_at_-nY_cuAqsOyWT8KzE-T1OtWQaq__JxaSFixCcRgtulNB3RdxmP36wItiAlCpfeAdzqn>
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2011 21:08:12 -0000

jorganos:

> Looking at the map, I was suddenly struck with the similarity to a
> reconstruction of Ghengis Khan's capital Karakorum. The
> reconstruction of the layout based on archaeological facts is a lot
> more recent than the first maps of the Rubble. The descriptions in
> old travelogues (like William of Rubruk or contemporary Persian
> sources) is of course older.

I think that was intentional.

Both cities are inhabited mainly by nomads, so need large areas of grazing. Sure, Karakorum was built by nomads for nomads and Pavis was originally built by giants for giants, but the purpose ends up being the same.

> This doesn't make Joraz Khyrem a Gloranthan Ghengis (that's
> reserved for Sheng), but in this regard there is an astonishing
> degree of parallel.

Joraz Khyrem was the khan of shy-worshipping horse nomads, as was Ghengis Khan. They both ruled an empire from a city, albeit Joras Khyrem's empire was a tad smaller than Ghengis'. That's about as far as it goes, though.

See Ya

Simon