Re: The origin of Ogres.

From: boztakang <daniel.mccluskey_at_GuV0Pm3SCpStlHuAF6628et3bt2h8JhTfSj19BuiQTFvBLZ25lp1p97iuJO>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 20:40:02 -0000

Exactly. Things the gods did before the great darkness are generally ok - step too far off that path (or worse, emulate the powers of an explicitly chaotic diety, and all bets are off.

Certain things that may once have been reasonably safe (cannibalism and headhunting as examples) have been corrupted and encroached upon by chaos, and now require more explicit rituals to avoid danger (that "slippery slope")

> I don't think it's as simple as that it's ok for trolls and not for humans. Maybe they're at 1/10th normal chance of chaos taint or something due to their strong connection to the darkness rune. I think they instinctively behave in such a way that they avoid actually acting chaotically. See my note on Tricksters later.

I largely agree with your comments. But I must disagree strongly with the the idea that trolls risk any chaos taint by providing a proper funeral to their kin (eating them). I would strongly argue that a Troll runs a much higer risk of being tainted by chaos if they Buried or Burnt the corpse of a relative than they do from eating it. For the Uz, cannibalism is not just OK for trolls, it's darn near mandatory.

Killing a relative to eat them on the other hand - Thats not so good. Unless they're a trollkin, in which case, they're fair game. I don't think even that violation runs much risk of chaos taint. Killing a relative carries it's own punishment - you now have fewer relatives.

IMO, Chaos is represented much more simply by trolls than humans - Hunger that can't be satisfied, Noise with no purpose, Deformity, Mutation and Disease, Infertility, Bright Lights, Men ruling over women, and and such gross violations of the natural order of things.