Re: chaos mages/sorcerers

From: David Cake <dave_at_DaebveHmdA1QStwT4rRixL05LGp59hO_gwY4xqQcjKBcFP1hzls_T4Owq-o2zjpbWolLgof>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2011 04:15:36 +0800

On 02/12/2011, at 3:35 AM, Santo Sengupta wrote:
> In Kralorela/Ignorance, the so called "Gang of Four" (Shadow Cancer, Earth
> Eater, Hidden Waters, Star Permutator) are malign chaotic essences that can
> imbalance one's chi.

        I don't actually think this is true. I think these are malign ignorant elemental essences, but not necessarily chaotic. In fact, probably not.

	The Thalurzni story is about enlightenment vs ignorance, and is also an elemental parable (Thalurzni is an alchemist). But the Black Sun hates chaos too, Ignorance does not imply chaotic. I think Thalurzni specifically is in an era when chaos per se is not a threat.
	Raises an interesting question, really? When does Sekever go from being the chaos hating Black Sun who defeats Tien, to the chaos loving guy whose servants include the Huan To? Is there a hidden story here of the corruption of Ignorance between his first and second reigns?

> And there are a plethora of Antigods in Vithela that practice sorcery.
> Martalak the "Noble Wrong" Sorceror is considered the originator of all
> sorcery, and might be the Vithelans name for Malkion/Zzabur.

        Yes. Martalak is just sorcery.

> Ezran, father
> of Wickedness seems to be clearer a Chaos Sorceror.

        The God Learners certainly thought so, and he does seem to fit the bill.

> Adlanari, the Black
> Mirror of Nightmares, might also have a Grimoire.

        Maybe, though I tend to think of Adlanari as the dark side of Eastern dream magic rather than sorcery. Eastern sorcery seems much more concrete to me.

        Cheers

                David