Fonritan religion

From: Jeff <richaje_at_fAca7n2Z555PT-Sd5qu6dRTLChLmiSu8ZtXunOU5bWOJhhaKbZrmyicHbqKQe8mAbtP4>
Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2011 11:31:41 -0000

> IMO Fonritans do not believe in a life after death, seeing death as
> infidelity to Ompalam's will.

I am pretty sure there are different schools of thought about that in Fonrit.

It is worth giving a few basic fundamentals of Fonritan religion. It is ultimately derived from Pamaltelan High Shamanism, which says the Living Body (which includes men, animals, plants, and the rest of the Living World) is the origin and holder of the Life Force power of the world. Therefore, the Living Body must be treated with reverence and care.

Ompalamism takes this a step further and says the Life Force is the slave to the Living Body. "Life is Slavery. We are slaves to our Body. Everything is the slave to something else. We acknowledge Slavery as the natural Order of the Universe, and submit to it." Unlike High Shamanism, this is divine worship and involves the submission of the individual to a single entity.

An offshoot of this philosophy comes from the extreme belief that the physical body must be maintained at all costs. The followers of Gark submit to the tender care of the Sleeping God (in order to enjoy eternal peace and eternal life) and donate their corpses to the temple. For a while, anyone can still visit them as they labor mindlessly for the temple. After a certain time, the shells are sent away to do what the cult wants. The cult gives out amulets that will let the descendant know if their ancestor has slipped away, despite the tender ministrations of their good, silent god.

The God Learners used this cult in the Second Age to exploit people and get slaves. The Vadeli used it at the Opening to terrify and impress the Pamaltelans they met.

Jeff