Re: chaos mages/sorcerers

From: hcarteau_at_TUPnMjWPBE-4wPF_XzK9YzmxUFgdyXPGYgaEz3hv2NbSOIYLpGqVAB0Rbhi6l9UGX8d
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2011 17:59:39 +0100 (CET)

Sorcery is the application of Logic to manipulate Matter and Energy. In the case of Tapping, it is the use of Devolution and Transmutation that allows the wizard to convert either base matter or any of a wide range of energies into usable, ready-to-use energy. Ir is as much part of core wizardry as any other spell and has nothing to do with chaos.

That some scola or sects chose to ban Tapping has nothing to do with Logic, only with their view of how human beings should behave. Some chose to interpret Malkion's motto "Do not ruin that you love" as a prohibition on Tapping. But the purest practitionners of Wizardry, the Brithini, can and do tap freely, according to their needs.

I strongly suspect calling Arinsor a "chaotic mage" was just a smear job, or the fruit of ignorance as he used unexpected and unconventional Magics. Let us remember that second age jrusteli explorers called any nonhuman they met, even plain uz and aldryami, "krjalki", which means "chaos monster" in their tongue.

What we call chaos and what our PCs and NPCs call chaos is very different : to our characters, many ugly, unknown, shocking things, beings and behavior are "chaotic". That they have nothing to do with entropy would be at best very difficult to explain.

Ezebener of Fay Jee
Dean of the School of the Cerulean Gauntlet Which has NOTHING to do with chaos at all Sleeping Slontos Secrets are clean and cool Cthulhu Fthaghn