Re: Red Goddess and Compromise

From: jorganos <joe_at_xDhN5HUsFzlbwi4dOSlgzaQtw4poFbdB9WmPBSVuzFQDQRGZwMRxndfvMYHIq5iHRTtWLPq9>
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2011 23:43:18 -0000

Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...> wrote:

>> What proof is there that the Red Goddess wasn't part of the Compromise?
> Gods that do not appear in the Orlanthi myths are not part of the Compromise.

Given the struggle for superiority in the heavens/airs, I would expect a plethora of mythical encounters between solar planetary and star deities and storm deities.

>> Given her identification with several of the lesser planetary "sons" of Yelm, I find it highly unlikely that these were absent from the Ritual of the Net (from an Orlanthi perspective).

> Again the Orlanthi don't see the enemies with that amount of detail. They would be lucky enough to pick out their particular rival but compiling a order of battle for the Fire Tribe? They are not God Learners.

Looking at the Thunder Brother myths, we get lots of individual opponents for single events. We don't know all the Thunder Brother myths. Most Heortlings don't either, but I am certain they know a lot more than have been published.

> >> What living surface deities? Everybody had died. Even Humakt was there.
> > The Clan Questionnaire names:
> > o Elmal, the Suffering Sun
> > o Kolat, the Spirit Wind.
> > o Storm Bull, the Mindless Storm.
> > o Humakt, the Lord of Death.
> > o Yinkin, the Alynx God.
> > o Lady of the Wild.
> Which question? It doesn't appear in Sartar: Kingdom of Heroes or
> Orlanth is Dead!

Sartar: Kingdom of Heroes

which god did you reawaken? last point: none, we kept our living deities

> > [Nadar is] Explicitly described as Nathic Avenger.

> I would prefer a source rather than a statement.

I would prefer to be able to give it without redoing the research that I lost during the last three computer crashes of mine. Given the "See Also" entries for Nadar on Buserian but the absence of source quotes, my guess is Fortunate Succession, its precursor Dara Happan Book of Emperors, or one of the Spolite / Carmanian Emperor lists, possibly either there or in Entekosiad.