Re: Quick Summary of Gloranthan Cultures Part Two: Westerners

From: David Cake <dave_at_aPyyhoVqvGnupC1ZRH48fzAY8eTKz436Yn0a10w5gjJ_WZHvd0Bp3KZ30CtYE0cS52b1NIp>
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2011 02:04:52 +0800

On 02/12/2011, at 5:37 AM, Jeff wrote:

> OK all -
>
> I've posted the "Part 2 of the Quick Summary of Gloranthan Cultures: Westerners" to the website. Some of you might need to first put sharp objects away from you and get some smelling salts in order to revive yourself after viewing this, as it is *significantly* different from the view taken in previous publications on the West. Nonetheless, this represents several years of intense discussion between Greg, myself, and Dan Barker.
>
> Although this is still a work in progress, this gives some good insight into how the West will be presented in Guide to Glorantha and other forthcomining Glorantha books.
>
> Without further adue, here's the link: http://jeff.moondesignpublications.com/2011/12/01/quick-summary-of-gloranthan-cultures-part-two-the-westerners/

        Some odd stuff in there (for Horali, it is always Movember!)

	I very much like the idea of Western magic being something like Kabbala, something like Neo-Platonism. Of course this does mean that their wizards actually are quite a bit like Medieval wizards, or at least Renaissance ones, who tended to mix all this stuff in with the general syncretic mess of stuff they favoured.
	I really like the Kabbala element there - the runes aren't the same as sephiroth, but there are inspirational parallels.

	Jonatings - I am fairly sure I am not alone in not alone in not understanding what the relevant details are in a culture that is described as being like medieval Lithuania, but NOT like Medieval Russia. I was under the impression that Lithuania and Russia are not just physically close, but culturally fairly similar. Could you elucidate the differences that you are getting at here?

	Cheers

		David