Re: Arinsor the misunderstood or the krajlki demon ?

From: Glass <glass_at_pGNSJZ2iW-QHPhhX4jH-zs7sHEXZDPnu4UzcQkiRmDn3eSOGEu7dYt4CS5PFKY4b2-v0tU>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2011 20:47:38 -0000

Good stuff!

> Westerners' Chaos-detecting abilities can be a bit patchy, as Trolls were sometimes called Krjalki too. (Could one say that this went down with the Uz about as well as a lead balloon?) Arinsor's demons would definitely be called 'Krjalki', whether or not they were actually tainted with Chaos

Needs a William Church cartoon of a "lead zeppelin."

My pet theory is that the "Krjalk Cult" is actually the main way the West interacts with Chaos. Basically all non-human holders of the Man Rune are "krjalki" -- the happy "normal" face of the troll or hellwood elf -- but sometimes that mask can slip to reveal the awful "Krjalki" monster beneath.

Demonization is probably also intimately involved, maybe going back before Arkat to their first encounters with the Dawn Council. In this version, the Hellwood didn't fall so much as it was eventually pushed.

>find out? (Also would people think better of him if he had tapped the demons he summoned?)

There are people who find the practice of "Tapping Chaos things" worse than the normal Tap, which is part of what makes the Boristi so awful.

> Talor battled vampires and werewolves and (now) a sorceror -- does this make Talor sound like the First Age's answer to Van Helsing (albeit the recentish Hollywood version rather than Bram Stoker's original), or what?

I dimly recall an early 90s convention LARP (?) that parodied the World of Darkness at the time by combining the Telmor and Vivamort cults with analogues for "Mage," "Wraith" and maybe even "Changeling."

> Finally if Chaos is taboo to wizards and sorcerors and the Vadeli make a point of breaking taboos, does this mean that the Vadeli tinker with Chaos as well? The Vadeli undeniably use Logic (though maybe not the same logic as everyone else), and yet Logic's analysis of Vadeli practices suggest that they should deal inappropriately with Chaos as well. Or is this the one taboo that even the Vadeli respect?

IMG they Tap indiscriminately via their Mostali magic -- wasn't Jraktal the Tap brought in during the Vadeli invasions?

> PS: the idea of Logic is so important to Westerners that it sounds like it ought to have its own Rune. Though if you don't want a proliferation of runic symbols, one neat solution (which may even be officially sanctioned already), would be for Logic to be the Westerners' name for the equilateral triangle known in other places as the Law rune, which refers not so much to justice as to the natural laws of the universe and to the philosophers and scholars (Wizards, Sorcerors and members of scholarly theistic cults like Lhankor Mhy, Irripi Ontor and Buserian) who try to understand them.

+1