Re: English rules for 'Dieux Nomades'?

From: donald_at_ZrOceGD1xU5TlLFrRc0nSqAUwCRXrs9V3dRj7bP1bPWKEw-qT7LfBdgjwDBVW79j1I1kO
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 14:25:30 -0000

Keith

> I have to agree with David on this, although it is also the case that if published now the
> games would need some significant changes, and could include some new scenarios.
> One could debate, for example, if the map for Dragon Pass would need to include the
> Dragonspine as a significant feature. The Battle of Iceland could be played out. Some
> of the characters mentioned in the Composite History could become units.

My problem with the games is that their design is very dated. Board and counter wargames have moved on a lot since the 1970s. I think a complete redesign is wanted with the aim of simplifying and speeding up play. To that end I'd go for a card mechanic to remove all the special rules for specific counters from the rulebook.

So you play the "Summon the Crimson Bat" and it appears ontop of a unit within five hexes of a Lunar magical unit and eats the unit. In subsequent turns it must move to a unit within five hexes and eat it. If an opposing unit there's a crt roll and if the Bat's attack fails it goes out of control and rolls to see whether it attacks another unit, disappears from the game or whatever. All those specific rules are on the card which remains by the board while the bat is in play.

Doing this with all the heros and major magical spells keeps the rules simpler and players are only concerned with the cards currently in play and those they have in their hand. You could also use cards to determine movement as some games do. Your turn then becomes a number of card plays (say three) after which you draw more cards to your hand size (say five).

--
Donald Oddy