Re: Is Spell Trading the hallmark of a vampire squid?

From: David Cake <dave_at_5gNlIcspQVAGvsZ_iKiPWxHIm4l1V1YcJ-0Hkz6Q0o0Az13jLcHsBDxuU-gTVRsdrwK9VpC>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 18:08:37 +0800

On 22/12/2011, at 5:08 PM, Jeff wrote:

>>> I am not sure we even used the word "Draugr" in Sartar: Kingdom of Heroes. I'm not sure it is a particularly Orlanthi word, especially since there are plenty of actual English words that mean the same thing ("ghost").
>>
>> 	Try telling a Humakti that there is no difference between ghosts (including those cult members whose spirits continue their duty after death) and undead monsters.

> That's a byproduct of the RQ rules (sorry RQ fans, but in many ways the rules system did not track the setting particularly well - especially when it came to magic). A ghost who haunts the population is not the same thing as a hero who still defends the population. Not at all. Only foolish philosophers mix that up.

	It is not an artifact of the RQ rules system at all. It is an artifact of the English language. In English, a 'ghost' is any spirit of the dead that interacts with the living, and ghosts would be regarded as undead. In Glorantha, there is a big distinction between spirits of the dead and undead monsters, regardless of game system.
	So, I think your suggestion that 'ghost' is a good synonym for 'undead' is a poor one. Yes, this issue is further complicated by ghost having a specific meaning in RQ, but the RQ use is a reflection of the issue, not its origin.

>> 	Orlanthi do, however, not consider spirits of the dead that have simply not gone on to the Courts of Silence to be Unlife. Many spirits of the dead that we might consider ghosts are not considered undead at all IMO.

> Of course not. They are not walking dead things but the spirits of the dead. Completely different.

	Which is why 'ghost' is a poor choice of term for 'undead' monster, given its literal meaning is 'spirit of the dead'.
	Cheers

		David