Re: Sprucing up the Western Calendar

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_mHiq28RXn1mhb8p6LKu8SdCGGsScGet_3LxpW5O_csw66wmZhQOCIWjJNbv2_4fT5HU>
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2012 10:02:33 +1300

On 2/18/2012 3:01 AM, jorganos wrote:
> Peter Metcalfe:
>> But I think the complete set of 294 days was established
>> sometime during the Storm Age

> I sort of wonder what meaning the term "year" had in pre-Dawn Dara Happa.
They had other planets rising and setting. All they had to do was note which constellation a planet was rising in and a year will have passed when the planet rises in the same constellation again.

> The Vithelan lands appear not to have noticed the absence of the sun, or daily cycles...

Neither did the Orlanthi. Elmal shone over Kerofinela in the Storm Age although he did become dimmer as the Age wore on.

> It would be interesting to know whether the Vithelans remember other numbers of days per year (or similar greater cycle).

I'm sure they do. A dating reference is made in the Avanapdur war when Mashunasan sends for Avanapdur although in the text, it's "such and such a date"

--Peter Metcalfe