Re: Troll illumination

From: boztakang <daniel.mccluskey_at_NrfdVxVGblwiEJAixo-A1L3EED2T2t5GDTY3tmAj_FgF_EzWRV7LmetpgRW>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 20:49:35 -0000

I think this is very true. Storm Bull defines his entire existence around fighting chaos. Trolls fight chaos as one foe amongst many. It certainly doesn't help that everyone else in the world seems to be so incredibly incompetent at it.

I think trolls have a very practical view of chaos - they know better than anyone how terrible it can be, and they are also painfully aware that if THEY don't do something about it, no one else will. So they fight it wherever they can, so that it won't grow powerful enough to destroy them.

They are more resigned to the fact that it will eventually fall on them to face down the chaos and destroy it, so they might as well crush it where they find it, before it gets too strong. Storm Bull on the other hand, exists primarily to fight chaos, instead of simply fighting to preserve his existence.

Even the troll "anti-chaos" cults like Zorak Zoran and Boztakang are not Primarily about fighting chaos, just especially good at it (though my interpretation of boztakang may be slightly off the mainstream in this)

> Though maybe it is also as simple as the dichotomy between Darkness and Light, complete with some of the inferences previous contributors have drawn upon in terms of Light tending towards refinement(?) whereas Darkness tends towards something more primal?

I think Uz see light as inherently enabling to chaos. For them, the pre-dark is scary, but manageable and far away. Subere is huge and powerful, and more than capable of keeping the pre-dark at bay, so long as she is undisturbed. Chaos was not a problem before Light came to Wonderhome and started burning things. Light is (bad)death and destruction, which tears holes in the universe, and weakens Subere, driving her away, and scorching holes in the skin of the world for the pre-dark to creep through. The chaos that comes after light is frightening and dangerous, because it is here and now, instead of there and then. Again and again, Light strips away the protective skin of (good)death and darkness which protects the wold from the natural chaos that surrounds it. Once chaos has crept into the middle world, the poor Uz must fight and sacrifice to prevent the complete destruction of everything.

Perhaps Uz view human illumination as just another minor chaos-taint, like a cave-troll's regeneration. Clearly anything that "enlightens" can only lead to a bad end.

The Blue Moonies will certainly have a strange relationship with illumination and chaos... but keep in mind that they are Boztakang's people, and probably understand Chaos better than anyone. Whatever insights they may or may not have on the matter, they arn't telling, so we may never really know much more about their experience/understanding than we do now.