Re: Odal and personal property among the Orlanthi.

From: David Cake <dave_at_qeBp0xXwqpcBBinPgB9hC_8Co-W37-3UfdQntDUN0SHZ44MdMdD-GFXv5jdNUrYsEyfVyPI>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 02:24:15 +0800

On 25/04/2012, at 11:08 PM, David Weihe wrote:

> Lord Hennamono <lord_at_iANnnaAYBzITp9D-jEt5kauJAdHRc-jYxiBRJPhSI8f4reo0uEIT-Ys5s7McBdK8_f94DJmqtfw3Ocs.yahoo.invalid> wrote:

>>> I don't have the Sartar book at hand, but I am unsure
>>> whether the family is a legally recognised entity
>>> among Orlanthi.
>> I agree. Family (as in nuclear) is a modern concept - to
>> the Orlanthi family is kin

> Actually, "family" goes back to Aristotle's lecture notes, and meant everyone living together, including a family's slaves, animals, paid servants, Uncle Sven who isn't actually related to anyone but came back with your father after Father's short outlawry, etc. Thus, having a nuclear family, as opposed to extended family, is one step up from being kinless.
	For most Orlanthi, this is equivalent to 'stead'. The group of people you iive with. Some of whom you are related to, some of whom might be carls or other subservient members of the household, some of whom might be related by marriage (but among the Orlanthi marriage can be temporary).
	I think it is a different relationship to kin or bloodline - the people who share a stead with you, don't necessarily share any significant property rights with you in the way bloodlines usually do. But you do have a significant obligation to them, to ensure the basic necessities of life are provided for. If someone lives at your stead, you have the obligations of hospitality. To not feed those who live at your stead would be a terribly dishonourable thing to do (unless you were starving yourself). But if they leave the stead, they don't necessarily have the right to take any property beyond the personal with them.
	Cheers
		David