Re: Some input about a REALLY BIG mother

From: hcarteau_at_yozWl-BawntTPoh9V2oBoBzeEvlonvtzoFdX-YAXR3-syytBDuuTe-91AvhL37VHDbE
Date: Tue, 1 May 2012 21:48:06 +0200 (CEST)

/// Ah, the storyteller in you is speaking. My players are the kind who feel more pressure when facing hard figures, so I'm giving some to them. Saying it's as big as an aircraft carrier, what will you do with your puny swords and claws, your puny ships, your puny magics, is nice, but not as impressive. I try to inject of lot of emotions in my games, fear being one of them. Old school rolists do fear hard figures more than grandiose descriptions...

So I would tell the players "She is really big, huge, colossal and gargantuan. In fact she is growing bigger and uglier as we speak. Any attempts to kill or even harm her are futile.
/// That's not good enough for french (and italian, so let's say latin) players; the more it sounds impossible the more they'll want to try. Hard figures do tend to discourage suicide runs without giving a feel of dreaded "railroading".

She has been there before the dawn of time and not even gods could injure her.
/// That's interesting. The only thing I know is that it appeared during the closing. What can you tell me otherwise ?

But she loves bloody entertainment so she generously offers you that you can kill her spawn. By the way you are already surrounded and they are crawling upon you."
/// That's cool. I've already drafted a chaos pliosaur that eats bits of ships underwater, so you have to dive in to stop it. It has black rotting blood, sensors on salks, shifting patterns on its skin - très chaotic chic.