Re: The same good ol' question : what is Chaos ?

From: hcarteau_at_dFvAHK2FIBzKXWwztFNUnquBVWQ_3EhACkp6B2egvU5BDcqKkixz0Nn91DPXV3yhxLu
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2012 11:20:21 +0200 (CEST)

There is an objective chaos in glorantha. A broo is chaotic, a gorp is chaotic, anything which when you look at it from Magic Vision and see the Chaos Rune is chaotic. Pretty much all of glorantha was touched by chaos during the Great Darkness and would know what it is even if they have different names for them.
/// I'm OK with that - it's about subjective views I'm talking. Chaos is one problem, one ennemy among many others to most big cultures - it's only the orlanthi who hate it so much and make such a fuss about it.

I am of the opinion that the Chaos comes from the Malkioni.
/// You lost me. Why ? Chaos is Prima Materia, "from whence the world sprang".

The earliest Orlanthi myths speak of the Predark rather than Chaos.
/// I wonder if only they did, if orlanth still do, if only some of them do. I wonder if it implies "what was before dark". If yes, it sounds a lot like prima materia.

Later on in the Gbaji Wars, they became exposed to Arkat and other Westerners and brought this new learning to Dara Happa ("These enemy hated an enemy called Chaos. They said that our Nysalor was chaos" Fortunate Succession p23). The Dara Happans had been fighting the Orlanthi for over seventy five years at the time yet this is the first time we hear about chaos.
/// My point - IIUC : dara happans had no specific chaos problem, or knowledge.

The Kralori concept of chaos is likely to be related to Orxili. Cults of Terror (and Cult Compendium) states they worship Gbaji but abjure other chaotic deities...
/// I wonder what the kralori name for Illumination is.

so whatever philosophical differences they have with other gloranthans about the origin and nature of chaos, they are opposed to it.
/// as an ennemy among many others. Chaos is small stuff compared to Dragons.