Re: The same good ol' question : what is Chaos ?

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_QDPAXrbXDkQK28mAXt7cPc-pJSnWPWFqz3K2C-erdh6E9pkNJrJgV6i1lQLQi78bv40>
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2012 21:40:20 +1200

On 8/19/2012 9:20 PM, hcarteau_at_ORuTm7KYJYZKIP8b_9kqf_SoVoYq8Lb3caPwWcKda_g4j3Atzt8-8Pi52iOfiFSQsBl1XmRs.yahoo.invalid wrote:
> /// I'm OK with that - it's about subjective views I'm talking. Chaos is one problem, one ennemy among many others to most big cultures - it's only the orlanthi who hate it so much and make such a fuss about it.

I'm not certain that's the case. Arkat hated Gbaji long before he became an Orlanthi. The Praxians struggle daily with chaos. Likewise the Doraddi confront Chaos from the Nargan.

> I am of the opinion that the Chaos comes from the Malkioni.
> /// You lost me. Why ? Chaos is Prima Materia, "from whence the world sprang".

I'm talking about the concept or the precise word. As for the Prima Materia being Chaos, that's only a specific Malkioni philosophy the repetition thereof can get you into serious trouble in other Malkioni lands.

> Later on in the Gbaji Wars, they became exposed to Arkat and other Westerners and brought this new learning to Dara Happa ("These enemy hated an enemy called Chaos. They said that our Nysalor was chaos" Fortunate Succession p23). The Dara Happans had been fighting the Orlanthi for over seventy five years at the time yet this is the first time we hear about chaos.
> /// My point - IIUC : dara happans had no specific chaos problem, or knowledge.

They _had_ no specific chaos knowledge. They did have a chaotic problem in the Great Darkness but didn't know it as chaos. It was only through their conquest by Arkat and his minions that they acquired the classical gloranthan knowledge of chaos and are now pretty much up to speed on it.

--Peter Metcalfe