Re: Praxian tribal campaign

From: John Biles <john_at_...>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2012 17:04:29 -0600

On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 12:04 PM, Pomeroi <pomeroi_at_...> wrote:
> On 05.11.2012 23:14, Andrew Larsen wrote:
>> I think Pomeroi's point was that cattle raiding is less sporting and more deadly serious for Praxians than for Sartarites. The general scarcity of resources would seem to make the lost of a few cows a serious problem for a Praxian clan.
>
> Yes, and IMG Praxian tribes are not like North American natives at all.
> Those were hunter/gatherers and only few tribes relied (wrong word even:
> made themselves independent of hunting/gathering, but not even
> dependant) on herding cattle. IMG Red Indians resemble the Grazelanders,
> but this perception may be weak as well, as I don't know more about
> these than Praxians.

Actually, after 1700, the plains tribes of North America were *horse* herders. Maintaining herds of horses was essential to their lifestyle and enabled them to then hunt the Buffalo for meat, while raiding more sedentary tribes for grains and veggies.

Also, Pavis: Gateway to Adventure indicates, on Page 52 that

  1. Young batchelors form their own war bands and raid other clans to get animals to give to the women they are trying to court.
  2. Only the danger of a counter-raid slows them down from doing this
  3. Raiding by tribes against each other is a constant threat.