Re: Can Heortling farmers count?

From: Phil Hibbs <snarks_at_...>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 15:27:01 +0000

>Can a Heortling farmer figure out what 63 x 17 is? Sure, he asks the
Issaries trader :)

Boldhome market square needed re-paving. The labourers started out with 800 paving slabs, but they hadn't used them all. The foreman wanted to know if any had been stolen. He counted the ones remaining and found there were 50 of them. He then started counting the slabs in the square, stepping from one to the next as he counted.

"Three hundred and seven... three hundred and eight... three hundred and nine..." he counted, whereupon an Issaries priest arrived and asked him what he was doing. "Hush, I'm counting... three hundred and ten..."

"You are wasting your time, man. You can calculate it. You have a grid of 25 by 30, so multiplying those two numbers, I can tell you that you have... seven hundred and fifty," said the priest.

"That's not good enough for me! I don't want to 'calculate' it, I need to know EXACTLY how many there are!"

Phil.

--
Don't you just hate self-referential sigs?