Re: Skills for a Dara Happan Princess

From: jorganos <joe_at_...>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 22:06:23 -0000

> I'm thinking no cook (servants do that).

Rather some appreciation skill concerned with food, in order to pass judgement.

Management of servants (not just commanding them, also organizing them) Etiquette and style
Prepared for Marriage - deals with all sorts of rank-taking in the future husband's household. Instruct concubines
(and these should be the most marketable skills a Dara Happan noble woman should have) Court protocol (when to perform full abeisance, when to merely cower, when to "aaah"...) Prepared for Marriage - deals with all sorts of rank-taking in the future husband's household.

Highborn Gossip - both information gathering and malicious defamation of other females possibly encountered in social situations.

> Maybe needlepoint

Too marketable, IMO. A Dara Happan princess without a practical cult ought to starve miserably when unsupported by the patriarch.

I'm not convinced that that would be an acceptable pastime for the upper nobility. Organizing drapes (without the manual work component), maybe. Or again just an appreciation skill enabling her to direct underlings.

Some kind of artistic expression perhaps. Embroidery maybe, though

> and something along the lines of please/obey father/husband.

I like the "please" part... obey has too much of a flaw rather than a benefit. This would include activities like ritual washing of the feet (Raibanth is the city of the Footstool, after all).

Loyalty to Family would be a virtue, too. Loyalty to husband would be a derived ability (that's out of loyalty to her father's family that arranged the marriage).

> I'm not sure about singing/dancing (to public for high born Dara Happan female)?

Dance is proper - the stately promenade and process in rituals. Not so sure about raising her voice, even in song. At least not in public.

In addition to this, the eligible cults teach skills even to non-initiates (non-specific to a single deity, which are quite the norm in Dara Happa, unlike in barbarian society).

Some degree of Lunar involvement - possibly just a philosophical influence, possibly a full membership and sevening, depending on the religious leanings of the house.

Too young for a Great Mother connection (too earthy), but maybe some more esoteric deity like Oslira, Entekos, Jernotia or Naveria. Orogeria for tomboys (as far as a Dara Happan princess can approach that trope). Depending on the Carmanian influences on the noble house (and the timing thereof - about 20 and again about 12 generations ago, Raibanth was under culturally Carmanian rule, but different types of Carmanians) perhaps some older, western Pelorian goddess mysteries.

If you want to go for nasty, there are spolite philosophy, Gerran mysteries, Yara Aranis, maybe even Jakaleel or Surensliba as other bad surprises besides Krarsht.