Re: Skills for a Dara Happan Princess

From: drscience3000 <dr.dave.00_at_...>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2013 01:59:01 -0000

Thanks for all feedback. I lot of good ideas like convince husband/father.

I hadn't liked singing because it was too much putting the woman at the center of public attention or, as one person put it, too much like a DH noblewoman raising her voice in public. Similarly dance was too much about moving her body in public (and DH courtship must go through the father, so you wouldn't be expected to waltz with strangers). But playing an instrument is a good way for her to please relatives/husband. Is there a canonical instrument popular in Dara Happa?

I don't see giving her skills in household management. I just don't see them have practical skills (like Southern antibellum women of breeding). If household needs to be delgated, the the patriarch gets a male underling to do it. The exception would be family (though how much of that is taught by the Dendara cult after marriage I don't know. Similarly, I don't see weaving but do see needlepoint/embroidery (to decorate a husband/father's cloths). So playing a musical instrument and embroidery would give something to occupy her time. She probably doesn't need to understand court politics, but does need to understand family politics (at least a fair distinction in focus).